In order to stay healthy, we need regular physical activity. Studies have found that regular physical activity helps reduce the chances of you being obese, having heart disease, mental illness, cancer, arthritis and diabetes. Cycling is a very popular outdoor activity and a great form of exercise. There are numerous Health benefits of cycling. Cycling is one of the most efficient ways to help prevent the diseases aforementioned.
Health Benefits of Cycling
- Peaceful sleep – When you cycle, your body gets rid of cortisol. That’s a stress hormone that can prevent you from having deep, peaceful sleep. Cycling also helps you to cure insomnia.
- Looking younger – When you exercise there’s an increase in blood circulation, and this delivers nutrients and oxygen to skin cells more efficiently. Exercise also helps increase the production of collagen in our bodies, which reduces the appearance of wrinkles and speeds up our healing process.
- Burning more calories – A NutriStrategy study found that riding a bike at less than 10 mph can help you lose 281 calories versus 176 calories when you take a 2 mph walk.
- Less stress – Cycling regularly reduces stress levels and promotes relaxation.
- An increase in focus – Cycling regularly increases your focus and mental acuity due to a boost in blood flow and oxygen to the brain, which help fire and regenerate receptors.
- An easy exercise option that is less harsh on your joints – Cycling gets your heart beating and your leg and body muscles moving without being too strenuous on your joints/knees. This is perfect for people recovering from an injury, people who are looking for a cross-training option and people suffering from arthritis.
- Better bowel movements – Exercise helps reduce the time it takes for food to move through the large digestive organ. This confines the amount of water that is absorbed back into your body, and leaves you with softer stool that’s easier to pass. Cycling may help you prevent irritable bowel syndrome.
- A stronger immune system – Physical activity makes immune cells more active, so they are prepared to fight off infection. Exercise can also increase activity against tumor cells, and assist in the prevention of related illnesses.
- Regular cycling improves balance and coordination.
- An improved skeletal system – Exercise strengthens the skeletal system and increases its mobility. This, in turn, improves your posture.
- Weight control – Cycling is a great way to lose and maintain weight: it increases your metabolic rate, builds muscle and burns fat. Even 30 minutes of cycling burns a good amount of calories and help you to stay more fit and slim.
- An increase in stamina- Regular cycling increase your stamina and also make you more stronger.
- Reduces the risk of you being diabetic- Cycling is found very helpful in reducing the risk of being diabetic. According to a study in Finland, people who cycled for at least 30 minutes per day had a 40% less chances of developing Diabetes.
- Improved oxygen circulation – Regular physical activity strengthens your respiratory muscles. This leads to better ventilation of the lungs, and therefore has a more positive effect on oxygen circulation
- Reduces the risk of cardiovascular diseases – Lower blood pressure helps reduce the risk of a stroke, and blood pressure is reduced when you have a lower heart rate. Cycling helps lower your resting pulse rate and strengthens your heart muscles.
- A longer lifespan– Regular physical activity lowers the risk of heart disease, diabetes, cancer, high blood pressure and obesity. The body becomes stronger and more efficient at regenerating new cells and defending itself.
Some Advantages of Cycling:
- It’s a low-impact exercise – Cycling is a form of exercise that causes less strain and injury compared to other physical activities, such as running.
- It’s an efficient way to exercise; you can incorporate cycling into your daily routine by using it to commute to work or go to the grocery store.
- Using a bicycle is faster than walking.
- Cycling is a form of exercise that is suitable for experienced riders, casual riders and children.
- You can bike to and from the gym as a form of warm-ups and cool-downs.
- You’ll be better able to enjoy the scenery around you.
- It’s an efficient way to achieve good health and fitness.
- Bicycles are cost-efficient, and are a perfect mode of transport for people who cannot afford a motor vehicle.
Cycling is one of the best ways to incorporate exercise into your daily routine, is cost-efficient, environmentally friendly and has multiple health benefits. You really can’t go wrong.
For some of the best road bike reviews, visit Road Bike Hub.